Millennials are taking their seats among Generation X and Baby Boomers at the buying table, making navigating the already complicated buying environment even harder, thanks to their different preferences.
According to a SnapApp and Heinz Marketing survey in late June 2017, to understand and identify the generational differences, and impact of those differences, on the B2B sales process and buyer’s journey, the report looks at the differences between the rising Millennial buyer, their Generation X and Baby Boomer counterparts, and how B2B marketing and sales strategies can address the gaps between them.
The key findings included:
A noninvasive approach is key to gaining any traction within this cohort, which avoids sales at all costs:
- Emphasize the relevance to the Millennial buyer and their issues specifically.
- A company must win the trust of those that the Millennial buyer trusts.
- Best pieces of content include: blog posts, infographics, videos, ungated eBooks. No whitepapers.
For Generation X,
Marketing and sales should reach out early in the buying process:
- Highlight product details and benefits for the whole team vs. individuals.
- Use data, analytics, and other measurable statistics in your conversations.
- Best pieces of content include: webinars, charts/graphs, brochures.
For Baby Boomers
Early engagement goes a long way with this generation:
- Lead with how your product benefits the members of their teams, rather than individuals.
- Use data and analytics to clearly show the value of the product.
- Best pieces of content include: webinars, charts/graphs, interactive eBooks.
Why It’s Hot: B2B marketers still take a fairly standard and universal approach to marketing and media, which aligns well w/the behaviors and interests of Gen X and Baby Boomer buyers; i.e., white papers, lead gen and immediate sales outreach, as well as focus on benefits for the team as a whole. This approach is a huge turnoff to Millennials, who not only are joining buying committees, but are often initiating and spearheading them!